Chloe Liu ’21: EMILY’s List

Name: Chloe Liu
Major: Political Science
Hometown: Princeton, N.J.

Internship Organization: EMILY’S List
Job Title: State and Local Campaigns Intern
Location: Washington, D.C.

EMILY’S List is a political action committee that is focused on electing pro-choice democratic women to all levels of government. EMILY’s List is the nation’s largest resource for women in politics, and it has raised over $500 million to support pro-choice Democratic women. I am currently interning in the State and Local Campaigns department, which trains and supports candidates and their campaign staff. My day-to-day work includes compiling and writing background research on candidates and races, communicating with state and local candidates to aid them with administrative tasks, and attending staff meetings.

I applied for this internship because I know the importance of electing pro-choice Democratic women to state and local legislatures. I believe that state legislatures have the most influence on constituents’ day-to-day lives. Issues such as choice, healthcare, water quality, and school budgets can be affected by local legislatures. I believe that it is important to elect women who will champion progressive change.

Living in a new city? What has that experience been like for you?

This is my first time living in a city and I love it! I’m adjusting to casually walking past national monuments when crossing the street and watching motorcades zoom past me on my way back from work. Currently, I have two major goals: 1. Go to all the free museums 2. Find every vegan bakery in the area.

What is most rewarding about your internship?

The most rewarding aspect of my internship is that I know that every piece of work that I do is meaningful. Although it is sometimes difficult to imagine the impact of the work that I am doing behind a computer screen, I know that every project I complete will help elect a candidate into office.